On 20 May 1514, a Royal Charter was presented to “The Master Wardens and Assistants of the Guild Fraternity or Brotherhood of the Most Glorious and Undivided Trinity and of Saint Clement in the Parish of Deptford Strond in the County of Kent.” This remains the Corporation’s full name to this day. Sir Thomas Spert, Master of the Mary Rose and the Henri Grace a Dieu, became the first Master. Since its foundation, Trinity House has been a leader in maritime safety and navigation for over 500 years.
Perfect for Corporate Events and Weddings
Trinity House, today home to the General Lighthouse Authority, offers direct views of the Tower of London overlooking Trinity Square Gardens and is one of London’s most distinguished private event venues. Easily accessed by car or the underground, the elegance and airy spaciousness of the House possesses the ambience of a grand private residence and is an impressive setting for social and corporate occasions and memorable civil weddings.
Behind the building’s imposing neo-classical façade, designed by Samuel Wyatt in 1794, are five graceful banqueting and conference rooms – The Library, The Court Room, The Pepys Room, Luncheon Room and Reading Room catering for board meetings, conferences, informal dinners, formal banqueting and weddings ranging in capacity from 10 to 130 seated places and 180 standing. The House’s particularly beautiful Reception Hall, with its sweeping, twin-curved staircase, houses remarkable maritime artefacts that bear testament to the prominent role played by Trinity House in the nation’s maritime history.
The history of the House is omnipresent and throughout the building, valuable paintings and antiques bear out the nation’s remarkable nautical heritage. This chronicle began in 1514 when a young Henry VIII granted the charitable guild of mariners a Royal Charter to regulate the water trafficon the River Thames, their powers later extended by Elizabeth 1 to include the sea-markers around the English coastline.
In its 200 year history, the building has welcomed royalty, prime ministers and Lords of the Admiralty and is today managed by Deputy Master, Captain Ian McNaught. Reflecting the on-going patronage of the Crown, the current Master of the Company is HRH The Princess Royal, filling a role held in former centuries by, amongst others, the diarist Samuel Pepys, the Duke of Wellington and William Pitt.
Please visit www.trinityhouse.co.uk/events-at-trinity-house-london to view a brief film of the House and its facilities.
If you are interested in Trinity House for your event, contact us or call us on 01926 624884.